Monday, March 4, 2013

Module 6

1.  Through the Eyes of a Sculptor taught me that sculpting is a lost art and is not well documented or recognized.  Sculptors literally take a block of marble or other material and transform it in to something completely different.  I like how almost every element of sculpting is natural, the materials come from the Earth, and the sculptor uses their vision to create something unique.  The Glass and Ceramics video highlighted the fact that glass and ceramics are two of the oldest man-made materials and there are constantly new uses for the materials.  I think that glass blowing is so interesting and can create some of the most beautiful pieces in the world.  The use of glass is expanding as well and it is replacing other materials in the creation of buildings and other structures.  In Installation Art the artists explore "the dynamic tension between artwork and its setting."  This video reminds me of the Dennis Maher exhibit at the Albright Knox.  This form of artwork is highly controversial because it is so unusual and frequently involves using trash or other discarded objects to create artwork.
2. The videos help to reinforce what was learned in the text. I think that the videos help the concepts in the text come to life.  The pictures in the text help to explain the topic but the video helps to reinforce the topic and make a lasting impression in my mind because I can see the concepts "in action."
3. I think that the films-especially the sculpture video do not need to go as in depth into the artist's background and daily life as they do. I would rather see a few different artists creating sculptures and going through the steps of how they got their ideas, their materials, their inspiration, and see them actually creating something.  I like to see the various works of art and hear the stories behind them, I did  not know that glass was replacing other materials in creating buildings, or that sculpture is so over looked.

No comments:

Post a Comment